quesadillas for breakfast

Thank you to the little people who made this blog possible.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Would YOU walk on this?




The Glass Bridge Construction of the Grand Canyon Skywalk began March of 2004 and is set to open to the public on March 28th, 2007. The $30 Million dollar all-glass Skywalk will hover 3,800 feet above the Colorado River over the rim of the Grand Canyon, allowing tourists to stroll on an 80-yard walk around the semicircular platform jutting beyond the canyon rim, surrounded by Plexiglass that will provide a spectacular view of the canyon floor directly below.
On May 2005, the final test was conducted and the structure passed engineering requirements by 400 percent, enabling it to withstand the weight of 71 fully loaded Boeing 747 airplanes (more that 71 million pounds).


The bridge will be able to sustain winds in excess of 100 miles per hour from 8 different directions, as well as an 8.0 magnitude earthquake within 50 miles. More than one million pounds of steel will go into the construction of the Grand Canyon Skywalk.


The Skywalk will be the first-ever cantilever shaped glass walkway to suspend more than 4,000 feet above the canyon’s floor and extend 70 feet from the canyon’s rim.




Access to The Skywalk will run from dawn to dusk and one hundred and twenty people will be allowed on the bridge at a time. The historical rollout of The Skywalk structure, with the glass in place, is scheduled for February 27 to March 2. The initial part of the rollout process involves jacking the structure up off of the supports and then subjecting the structure to several days of thorough tests that replicate the conditions of final placement. After the final testing is complete, the multi-million pound steel enforced structure will be rolled out across the canyon’s edge, which takes multiple days. Immediately after the structure is in position, it will be seated and attached to the foundation.
Located at Grand Canyon West’s Eagle Point, The Skywalk facility will also include a 6,000 square-foot visitor’s center on three levels – underground, first story and second story – which will contain a museum, movie theater, VIP lounge, gift shop, and several restaurants and bars, including a high-end restaurant called The Skywalk Café that will offer outdoor patio and rooftop seating on the edge of the canyon. The second story will be where visitors can access The Skywalk glass walkway. The visitor’s center will also offer private indoor and outdoor facilities for meetings, special events and weddings.

9 Comments:

Blogger S said...

Now I will tell you, there is NO WAY I will ever go on that thing! Scares the shit outa me! I dont care if I weigh a lot less than a 71 Boeing 747's....I aint going there!

Of course I ask you, why would anyone want to visit that damn dam anyway!? It's sooo boring! Ok I get it now, they will serve hot dogs, peanuts and cokes to visitors who come to walk on that insane thingie!

Let me know how you liked it!
XX

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 7:32:00 AM  
Blogger AndyT13 said...

No. Fucking. Way.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 7:36:00 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

No.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 8:45:00 AM  
Blogger egan said...

I would walk on it, but I'm shocked they would build such a structure over the Grand Canyon. So sad.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 11:19:00 AM  
Blogger Barakah said...

I'm teriified of heights, but I think I would walk on it anyway. What a horrendous idea...

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 3:54:00 PM  
Blogger BKS said...

Cool addition to the Grand Canyon. I have not been since I was maybe 10 or so and would love to go again. I might have to try some of those things on your list. At work when my boss calls me on the radio, I sometimes tell him (in non disguised voice) that I went home....he just says ok and nothing else is heard from him. haha

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 7:44:00 PM  
Blogger Spinning Girl said...

No way in hell would I walk on that thing.

Thursday, February 01, 2007 5:27:00 PM  
Blogger LadyXandria said...

Fuck yeah I'd walk on it. They have something like that at the CN Tower in Toronto. I took some awesome pics laying on the glass floor. It totally kicked ass.

Saturday, February 03, 2007 5:10:00 PM  
Blogger lime said...

holy shit!!! i don't think i could.

Sunday, February 04, 2007 3:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home