quesadillas for breakfast

Thank you to the little people who made this blog possible.

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Fattie Rattie Update











Chibby Chibberson














Nacho Rat


















Panda Bear

Chibby rat passed away last month. She had the same lung condition that Quesa had when she passed away. It came on pretty quickly with Chib, though. She started breathing heavy and she lost a ton of weight. The day she died was pretty traumatic. (sorry if this offends weak stomachs) She had started to bleed out one morning, and Adam (my boyfriend) had just left the house. So I called him and told him that I was taking her to the vet (there's one right next to my apt complex).

But when I picked Chibby up out of her cage, she was very squirmy, like she didn't want to be held. I had done this before with Quesa, but I had never encountered this reaction. She simply didn't want to stay still. So I used my left hand to shift the towel I was using to cover her, so holdher tighter on the bottom, and I used my right hand to position her head, but when I did, she bit down on my index finger.

And I'm not talking about just any ole' bite. I'm talking about.. her front teeth actually met inside my finger. It was horrifying, really. She bit down so hard, I had to pry her jaws open so that she could release my finger. She died instantly after that.

At that point, I didn't know whether to cry over her death or over the massive amounts of pain that was shooting thru my finger at the time. I did both, I think! So I called Adam and told him to come back home because I didn't know what to do about my finger. It wouldn't stop bleeding and it was really starting to hurt like hell. Also, I had to move the babies out of the cage and wrap up Chibs for burial.

But my finger healed nicely, and I still have the same cute babies (they are much bigger now than they were when I got them), Nacho Rat and Panda Bear! And even though losing a pet never gets easier, I'm still glad that I keep such great pets as rats :)

6 Comments:

Blogger Lee Ann said...

eeewwww....::shivers:: ::quivers::
I am such a pansy...

Glad to see you again sweetie!
I hope you are having a wonderful holiday season!
~xo

Thursday, December 14, 2006 7:14:00 PM  
Blogger lime said...

i was beginning to wonder if YOU were still alive! welcome back.

sorry about chibby and your finger. not fun at all. the new ones are cute.

and what's this business about a boyfriend???

Friday, December 15, 2006 5:57:00 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I'm so sorry sweetie.

¿Quién es Adán?

Necesito detalles.

Saturday, December 16, 2006 9:16:00 PM  
Blogger Spinning Girl said...

Because of you, I now have newfound admiration for Rats as Pets.

Sunday, December 17, 2006 5:20:00 AM  
Blogger T. Leach said...

You should come to NY with me next time. They have a wonderful rat-petting zoo in Union Square.

Monday, December 18, 2006 7:58:00 PM  
Blogger LBseahag said...

I missed Chibby's funeral?

I am so sorry :(

Friday, January 12, 2007 8:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home