quesadillas for breakfast

Thank you to the little people who made this blog possible.

Thursday, May 04, 2006

HNT: March of Dimes [aka This Post Sucks]

This past Sunday, my company had their annual March of Dimes event. If you remember, this was also my debut attempt to throw together a successful 'special event'. For the past two months or so, I've made countless numbers of Power Point presentations; I've stuffed Easter Eggs [which we sold as raffle tickets for kick ass prizes to raise money for M.O.D.]; I assembled and wrapped 56 Easter baskets [which we auctioned off to rasie money for M.O.D.]; I attended meetings upon meetings to organize the food menu and the rental tents, chairs, and tablecloths; I picked out the color of the t-shirts; I dropped off 298 t-shirts to the printing company and approved all charges and changes; I made instructions on how to get to the walk site and how to register and collect money online.......

After all this and more, I have to say that the walk was a great success!

We rasied in excess of $21,000! Which was a 33% increase from last year. Mission: completed! We had more than twice as many walkers registered, and more than three times as many people showed up for the actual event.

I wasn't actually prepared to walk the 5.5 miles around the Unversity of Houston campus, but it turned out that since our Captain showed up after all, I took the opportunity to walk it!

Before the race, a couple of co-workers and I visited a few booths around the walk site. And .. so.. um.. here I am posing with a piece of .. bread? LOL.. it was actually a campaign promoting bread! The sash the bread is wearing says "Bread is essential". I have them to thank for my tacobelly. My, how I look carbalicious in this photo..

[and yes, someone's big fat finger is in the middle of my wonderfee photo.. gee thanks.]






This is at the beginning of the walk. I was with a group of athletes, which should have set off a big warning in my head, but stoopidly, I kept up with them during the whole race. Notice how upbeat and playful I seem. This is Mile One. I'm doing the "L" loser sign with my finger on my forehead. We were displaying our wonderful sportsmanship with every team we passed on the way. LOL.. and it wasn't even a race! Boy, are we competitive!

[and yes, that is someone else's finger in my photo.. dammit, people, don't you know how to take a photo?!?]


During Mile Two, I must have stepped wrong, because I suddenly felt a sharp pain in my right foot. The pain was so bad that I contimplated lying down on the concrete and dying. But my pride wouldn't let me. I was walking with athletes, remember? So I jogged, walked, passed up other companies, and kept up with the group, just so I didn't lose face. Plus, if I would have stopped walking for just one minute, I wouldn't have been able to start up again at all!

This photo was taken at the end of Mile Five, with a few yards to go. See how my mood has drastically changed from "oh-boy-this-is-the-funest-thing-I-have-ever-done" to "get-out-of-my-farkin-way-before-I-literally-bite-yer-head-off-and-shove-it-where-the-sun-don't-shine"? The only thing sustaining me at this point was the ice cream sandwich in my right hand.


Hopefully tomorrow [when my camera phone charges back up], I'll be able to show you photos of my horrible injury. ;)

Happy HNT, everyone! For real HNT entries, visit Osbasso. He's got the good shit.

8 Comments:

Blogger Phain said...

ya know what events like this really need? BEER CARTS

Thursday, May 04, 2006 5:44:00 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

Oh the jeez, where do I start with this one.

Breathe in... now prep thyne self for comment heaven.

PREP THYNE SELF I SAID!

Good.

1. Why was I not invited to this event? I would have happily sat on the sidelines with a Dos Equis & lime cheering on all you poor sweaty suckers.

2. I would have purchased a t-shirt.

3. Bread IS essential for happiness. This is no laughing matter. I neeeed it!

4. Holy shit! Is that an actual person in that bread costume? At first I thought it was a cardboard prop, but that is a fucking person! HAHAHAA! I am done bitching about my job. Done. [not really]

5. The finger looks strategically placed in front of the bread lady's hoo ha.

7. I can't count.

8. So this is what you do when you aren't chatting with me at work?

9. You DO always wear pants. I bet your leggums are whiter than mine!

10. Yay! I made it to 10! Can I borrow $21,000?

Thursday, May 04, 2006 6:39:00 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

Do bread's have hoo-ha's? Oh god, I've been eating them whole the entire time!

Ok. I'm done.

Thursday, May 04, 2006 6:40:00 PM  
Blogger Breazy said...

YAY! I am glad it was a huge success ! Happy HNT!

Thursday, May 04, 2006 8:04:00 PM  
Blogger MG said...

HHNT, I was looking around a bit and reallly like your blog, I've bookmarked you to come back and read more!

Friday, May 05, 2006 6:13:00 AM  
Blogger S said...

Thats awesome Damasta! Congrats!!!!

LOL @ do breads have hoo has! LMAO

Friday, May 05, 2006 8:14:00 AM  
Blogger DaMasta said...

hnb - I didn't either! But I guess with the whole no-carb fad, the bread industry [lol] took a beating. I have a love-hate relationship with bread.

le chat - We actually DID have a beer cart out there. There was an electric riding beer cooler with a whole case of Bud Lite in it! LOL!

madmeer - You fucking crack me up. I'll invite you next time. Race for the Cure is in a couple of months, and I'm a sucker for free pink shit. Shirts were free. If you want, I'll give you the one with Team Captain on the back... maybe you'll feel special?? LOL..

OMG.. I never thought of a bread's private bits. How disturbing.

breaze - Thanks! It was worth all the hard work and stress!

mg - Thanks, girl! and welcome to the madness..

Friday, May 05, 2006 8:24:00 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Congrats! I am on a fudraising team for a non-profit so I know how hard that is to do!

Friday, May 05, 2006 9:04:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home