quesadillas for breakfast

Thank you to the little people who made this blog possible.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Weekend Update: Let it S--hine?

I had to ask Breazy what snow was on Friday, because this winter has been one of the mildest winters I've ever seen in Houston. Granted, our perception of cold [usually anything below 50 degrees, and people start bundling up] is probably waay different than yours.

I talked to Bsoholic and Breazy, and they both had snow over the weekend, but let me tell you, the weather was much different here in Houston. Last weekend, it was 70 degrees and sunny, and The Cuz, her hubby, her spawn and I all went to the beach in Galveston. It's only a twenty minute drive from my house, but it provides both a great weekend hangout and an excellent shopping experience. This past Saturday, it actually got a little cold [38-42 degrees], but it was sunny and the skies were clear, so we went to Kemah [a little touristy town on Galveston Bay].

Here are some pictures I took of both weekends:


The picture above is a shot of The Strand. It's downtown Galveston, an historical touristy street with trendy shops and small boutiques. The Coronaville Store [named after the Mexican beer] is my favorite store because [you can barely see it in the picture] it has sand on the ground, from the entrance to the cash register inside the store.




The picture above is the Flagship Hotel on the Seawall in Galveston. It's pretty much one of the only [and largest] hotels that's actually on the beach. It sits on a long pier and that's where my family goes fishing most of the time.

Anyone who's ever stayed there before will tell you that the hotel can actually make you seasick, because as the wind blows and the tides come in and out, the hotel sways back and forth on its own.



The beach has such a calming effect on me. I just stood there, wading in the water, watching the seagulls under the pier.

The sunset was beautiful that night. It was nothing but ocean as far as the eye could see, and the sun was actually setting behind us, but it made an awesome range of colors on the horizon.


This past weekend, we went to Clear Lake, my old stomping grounds. Above, you can see a drive-by picture of the lake. It was about 44 degrees, but the skies were clear and the sun was shinning, and nothing could stop us from having a good time!


Above pictured, are hundreds of boats that lined the bay. This is Kemah, Tx, famous for its boardwalk and small town shops. We shopped our little hearts out and then went to the boardwalk for some fine mexican dining! I left very broke, and very full!


The streets were lined with these fun cut-outs of Captains, Popeye, Fairys, and Mermaids! Ahoy, mateys! I'm tired of chasing booty out at sea! Hand me my rum, and scrub the deck!

8 Comments:

Blogger Breazy said...

thank you for the mention ! I love going to the beach as well and I don't know if I have ever told you before or not but I LOVE Texas ! Happy Valentines day !

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 6:50:00 PM  
Blogger LBseahag said...

way to go...you make me wanna go to texas...or at least say i went...

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 8:32:00 PM  
Blogger AndyT13 said...

Ahoy! That's so awesome and I'm so jealous!!! TEJAS BAY-BEE! Anyway I hop eyou had a lovely V-day!

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 7:05:00 AM  
Blogger DaMasta said...

Breaze - No, you haven't told me that! I love Houston! Where I live is so close to the beach and to Kemah, and everything to do in Houston is a close drive. [of course, I LIKE to drive!] Happy VD to you! ;)

jinxy - Come, already. [ew.]

Andy - w00t! I had a lot of fun! Arrrrgh...

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 7:36:00 AM  
Blogger Bsoholic said...

woohoo! Looks like it was a pretty fun time! I haven't been to a beach in many many years.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 9:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had snow, too. Yesterday it was 55 degrees and people were driving home from work (in Chicago) with their convertible tops down.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 10:27:00 AM  
Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

Oh, I'm sooooo jealous!!

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 10:43:00 AM  
Blogger Mr. Shife said...

Aaaaarrrgh, permission to board your ship.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 11:01:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home