quesadillas for breakfast

Thank you to the little people who made this blog possible.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Carnival of Death 2006
(also known as: The Day I Thought I Was Going To Die by Flying Off the Cheap Mexican Carnival Rides OR That Time I Got a Real Bad Flu/Chest Cold/Upper Respiratory Infection and Thought, in the end, It Would Have Been A Lot Less Painful If I Would Have Just Died By Flying Off the Cheap Mexican Carnival Rides)
---------------------------------------

--------------------------------------

It looked harmless enough. Jolly half-witted Mexican immigrants froliking the flea-market-parking-lot-turned-carnival grounds, waiting in line to ride the [god-awfully dangerous] carnival rides that were supervised by white homeless men with snaggled and/or missing teeth.

---------------------------------------


----------------------------------------

Rule One of "Side-of-the-freeway Carnivals": Don't ride the rides. The ride pictured above was the second ride The Cuz's son and I rode that night. Don't let the colorful lights and the stand still image deceive you, though. This thing twirls you up in the air, spins you around up and down, and practically launches you in the air, all while you're grabbing onto the sides hoping to God the small children seated near you can't see you crying.

----------------------------------------

----------------------------------------

The "ride" pictured above was by far the funest/safest ride there. As I slid down onto the rough potato sack and clenched the sides, I prayed to God that gravity still existed. It did.

---------------------------------------


------------------------------------------

The Cuz, the Cuz's son, and I all tried our luck throwing rings at glass bottles in hopes to win a larger than life sized stuffed Nemo. A hundred and fifty rings and fifteen bucks later, we decided that the water gun squirting race was more our speed. In honor of my blog-friend Mr. ThomCat, I put two bucks down on number 13. The carnival people, while [I'm sure] high on numberous illegal drugs, are not kind to picture takers. "Is it picture time or is it race time?!", snarled the attendant as I took the picture above. I thought it was time for him to have a big glass of STFU. [Ask Bs if you don't know what STFU stands for.]

------------------------------------------


---------------------------------------

In the end, I won a stuffed animal rose [does that even make sense?] and as the cold air ascended into Houston, I realized that the next three days of my life were to be filled with sleepless nights, painful fevers, and a cough that could wake the dead.

I'm back at work now [although the last I heard from my boss is they might send me home], and I just have one thing to say after this whole carnival/flu ordeal: FUCK NYQUIL.

9 Comments:

Blogger Bsoholic said...

I'm not a huge fan of carnivals, the people are too pushy, and like you said the rides look extremly dangerous.

Get well soon though!

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 6:55:00 AM  
Blogger The Village Idiot said...

so its a stuffed rose? Thats not at all what it looks like. and I am glad you survived!..nope..didnt ride a bus!

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 8:43:00 AM  
Blogger DaMasta said...

Never again, B, never again!

What does it look like, Idiot??? Hmmm....

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 8:55:00 AM  
Blogger Barakah said...

I like rides but the new ones scare me. It used to be that momentum and other physical laws were respnsible for keeping you in your seats, but the new roller coasters and such rely a whole lot more on belts and harnesses. I'm not sure if I trust engineering enough. Equipment ages and fails plain and simple.

Creepy...

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 9:00:00 AM  
Blogger anika said...

That prize you won is quite somethin'. Too bad it didn't have any flavoUr. Muahaha

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 1:07:00 PM  
Blogger DaMasta said...

ON MY BLOG, FLAVOR IS SPELLED F-L-A-V-O-R. NO "U". NOPE. NONE.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 1:21:00 PM  
Blogger Thomcat said...

i love those portable carnival rides ... they usually have a booth right next to the ticket booth, where you can update your will , instantly...

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 3:42:00 PM  
Blogger Mr. Shife said...

Hope you feel better. It is always fun checking out the carnies. They are a unique bunch of people.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 3:58:00 PM  
Blogger .- said...

no full witted immigrants ey?

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 7:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home