quesadillas for breakfast

Thank you to the little people who made this blog possible.

Saturday, September 03, 2005

I am so pissed.

At 8am this morning, I woke up and headed to a local furniture store here in Houston to [what I thot was] help out collecting and distributing food and supplies to Katrina victims. Much to my dismay, it didn't go as planned.

Dispite having a sprained ankle, I worked outside for two hours bagging and loading supplies into trucks. Where were they taking all these supplies? To the George R Brown Convention center? Why? I thought we could help more people by keeping the supplies there for people that are bussed in or walk-ups.

After two hours, I ask to be assigned inside b/c by that time, my ankle was swollen. Plus, with everything bagged and loaded, many volunteers were just standing around with nothing to do. So they sent me inside to answer the phones. Five minutes later, I was told not to touch the phones b/c the furniture store was officially open and they didn't want us to answer "business" calls.

We started putting together packets for the victims, which included a list of shelters that were open in the local area. I asked one of the ladies in charge if I could start calling the shelters and updating their status b/c I figured we didn't want to give out-dated info to the victims. She said ok. Five minutes later, I was told to stop calling shelters b/c they didn't want it to seem like we were overshadowing our Congreeman's efforts [he was the one that put together the list of shelters].

Was this an attempt to help the victims or a ploy to win votes?

I'm confused.

I left.

4 Comments:

Blogger LBseahag said...

That sounds like chaos...
But your efforts are what matters...

Where there any hot guys there?

Saturday, September 03, 2005 3:29:00 PM  
Blogger DaMasta said...

Yeah, but they were all sixteen. And with the local political figures there, I didn't want any trouble with the law. :)

Saturday, September 03, 2005 6:44:00 PM  
Blogger Bobby said...

Don't let it get you down, your efforts are appreciated even if it doesn't feel like it.

Saturday, September 03, 2005 7:13:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

thats so pathetic. ITs called an opportunity..whether photo or other type for those candy-assed politicos. Kudos to you for helping in your condition,I salute you. I tried to take a ton of clothes to our local red cross. I currently am tapped out due to 2K in dental surgery i got last tuesday(talk about pain girl!)I went thru all the closets in my house, sorted by season and boxed accordingly. The assclown at my local red cross said they didnt want the clothes they wanted money. I looked at her incredulously and said..how does it feel to want? thanks alot you corporate shill. she then started to attempt to ask for my money in a more..how should we say..politically correct manner.I said I wouldn't give a dime to the red cross after all the crap that came out last year about what they do with the money..very little of it gets to the victims..and i walked away..very upset and once again proven correct: the corporate bastards make a fortune off other people;s misery.

thanks for stopping by my blog btw..I like yours and will return :)

Tuesday, September 06, 2005 8:44:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home